St Aidan’s Blackheath
The original rectory of Blackheath still stands on the corner of Hat Hill Road and Wentworth Street. It was built very early in the 1880s and services were held in the large front room. Due to the state of repair of the old Rectory, a decision was taken in 1975 to sell it and build a new brick rectory alongside. In 2010 the rectory was renovated and extended to meet the current standards.
St Aidan’s Church
Since the 1880s, St Aidan’s has remained a centre of faith and witness served by a succession of six curates-in-charge, followed by 25 Rectors and Acting Rectors.
In 1884, the central section of St Aidan’s was erected and consecrated, financed in part by the efforts of Rev Edward Symonds, the Curate-in-Charge. There was a period of quiet struggle until the mid-nineties when the village started to grow with the development of the area as a holiday centre. The north aisle was added a few years later and the south aisle shortly after that. Truly a prime example of Australian additive building, yet it produced a quaint, picturesque design, with some beautiful carved oak furnishings and a lively little pipe organ. The completed additions were dedicated on 6 December 1902, by the Rt Rev W Saumarez Smith, the carved oak pulpit being dedicated as a memorial on the occasion.
As far as can be seen, the Sunday School has functioned with few interruptions since before the turn of the 19th century.
The present hall was built in 1959 and owes its church-like design to the virtual re-use of the plans of the Anglican Church at Hazelbrook.
The Parish of Blackheath
In 1912 the Conventional District of Blackheath with Medlow Bath was raised to the status of “The Parish of Blackheath with Medlow Bath”. This continued until 1966 when the Parish of Mount Victoria was divided so that Hartley and Hampton went to the Parish of Littleton and Mount Victoria and Mount Wilson/Mount Irvine joined Blackheath. In 2004 the little church at Medlow Bath was closed and the church at Hampton seconded to the nearby parish of Oberon.
(Adapted from ˜A Hundred Years of Worship 1884-1984” written by Lewis Hodgkinson for the Centenary of St Aidans)
Rectors of the Parish since 1883
WE MEET WEEKLY AT
St Peter’s Mt Victoria
St Aidan’s Blackheath
and monthly at
1st Sunday at 5pm
St John’s Hartley
2st Sunday at 3pm
St George’s Mt Wilson
All services are followed by a time of fellowship and refreshments